Elementary Dress Code
Dress Code Policy Number 6.310 Approved by the Cocke County School Board 5/24/2005
Students shall dress and groom in a clean, neat and modest manner so as not to distract or interfere with the operation of the school.
More specific guidelines appropriate for each level of school (elementary or high school) may be developed. Principals, faculty members and students shall be involved in the development of each appropriate set of guidelines.
When a student is attired in a manner which is
likely to cause disruption or interference with the operation of the school, the
principal shall take appropriate action, which may include suspension.
ELEMENTARY (K-8) DRESS CODE
1. Girls are not to wear halter or midriff tops.
2. Boys are not to wear tank tops.
3. Shirts/blouses must not be cut below
the normal arm pit and must not come below the
top of the breast. All shirts/blouses must reach below the top of the pants or skirt at all
times (no skin showing at any time).
4. Shorts may be worn by both males and
females as long as the length is approximately
knee-length. Shorts must meet one of the following two guidelines:
a. The inseam of shorts must be a length of seven (7) inches, or
b. Shorts may be not shorter than four (4) inches above the knee.
5. The length of skirts and dresses must
meet the same guidelines as shorts.
a. Skirts and dresses may be no shorter than four (4) inches above the knee.
6. Bike shorts are not permitted.
7. If two pairs of pants/shorts are worn, the outer pair must conform to rule 4.
8. Clothes may not be worn with holes above the knees.
9. Clothes may not be worn with patches on or around the genital areas.
10. Galluses are to remain on the shoulders at all times.
11. Appropriate undergarments are to be worn and must not be visible.
12. The waist of pants is not to be worn below the hips.
13. Pants must be secured at the waist. They may not rest around the buttocks or below.
14. No excessive baggy pants are permitted.
This rules does not apply to students in grades
15. Thong shoes are not permitted.
16. Clothing with poorly worded language is
not permitted (Big Johnson, Co-Ed Naked,
etc.). This rule applies to all students in grades K-8.
17. No clothing may have beer, whiskey,
tobacco, drug labels or suggestive pictures or
language written or printed on them. This rule applies to all students in grades K-8.
18. Hats and/or caps are not to be worn inside
the building during school hours or at
academic functions. This rule applies to all students in grades K-8.
19. A student or employee will not dress,
groom or wear or use emblems, insignias, badges
or other symbols where the effect thereof is to distract unreasonably the attention of
other students or employees, or otherwise cause disruption or interference with the
operation of the school.
20. Any accessory that is studded, spiked,
contains chains or can tabs or in any way
presents a potential danger or harm to self or others is prohibited.
21. Tattoos whether permanent or temporary will be covered if possible.
22. Hair is not to be sprayed or dyed in
unnatural colors (such as blue, pink, green, orange,
yellow, etc.) or spiked or mohawked.
23. Visible body piercings are limited to the
ear only. Eyebrow, nose, lip, tongue, belly
button, etc. piercings are not permitted.
24. Anything in question will be at the discretion of the administrator.